第24课:Where is the Monkey? 我的猴子在哪里?
选自第2季第12集13:28-14:58
ROSS: Buddy, my monkey?
兄弟,我的猴子呢?
JANITOR: Oh, yeah, right. There was a break-in, few months back, inside job. Your
monkey was taken.
对了,在几个月前……这里被洗劫,内贼干的。你的猴子被偷了。
【一群人在动物园偷走了一些稀有动物,Ross的猴子是其中被偷的动物之一;猴子被卖到了娱乐产业,如果同学们往后观看第2季其它的视频话,他们在追踪一个被猴子咬了之后散播病毒的人Marcel.】
buddy /'bʌdi/ 伙伴,好朋友 n.
money /'mʌni/ 猴子 n.
back 和then 都是副词,then 是“中心词”,then = at that time 之意。back 修饰then,起强调作用,指“时间或位置”的“追溯,上溯;回原处”。
1. Back then, we were in high school.
那个时候,我们都还在上高中。
2. I miss my childhood. Making friends was a lot easier back then.
我很怀念我的童年,那时结交朋友可容易多了。
ROSS: Oh my God. But the zoo told me that my monkey was dead.
我的天哪!可是动物园说我的猴子死了。
JANITOR: The zoo! Do you believe everything the zoo tells you?
动物园!你相信动物园说的每一件事吗?
ROSS: That, that's the only thing the zoo's ever told me.
动物园只是告诉过我这件事。
【janitor是“门卫,守卫”的意思,他在Ross的猴子被偷走的动物园里工作,他很清楚有一些动物被偷的内部消息,但是他的上级领导告诉过他不要对外公布此消息,而是说这些动物死掉了,否则会导致公众认为他们动物园管理和防备有巨大漏斗,而影响其经营。】
zoo /zu/ 动物园 n.
dead /dɛd/ 无生命的,死的 adj.
believe /bɪ'liv/ 相信 v.
ever /'ɛvɚ/ 从来,在某时 adv.
believe 表示接受/相信某人话语的真实性;believe in 稍有不同,表示你对某东西存在的信念,不论你有没有见过或体验过,你有这种信念/信仰。
1. I believe Tom. He is always honest.
我相信汤姆,她一直都很诚实。
2. Many people in the world believe in God. What about you?
世界上许多人都相信有神的存在,你信吗?
JANITOR: Of course they're gonna say he's dead. They don't want the bad publicity.
It's all a great big cover-up. Do you have any idea how high up this thing goes?
他们当然会说它死了,他们害怕消息传出去会不好看。他们掩饰得密不透风,你知道这件事情牵涉到多高层吗?
ROSS: That guy Lipson?
那个黎先生?
JANITOR: Lipson knows. Do you have any idea who else knows?
黎先生知道?黎先生知道,是吗?
publicity /pʌb'lɪsəti/ 公众的注意, n.
cover-up /ˈkʌvɚˌʌp/ 掩饰 n.
Go 可以表示“进展”的意思
1. How’s everything going?
一切进展得怎么样?
2. Let me know if anything goes wrong.
如果有什么问题,请告诉我。
JANITOR: Hmm, Lipson knows huh? Ahh, hello Mr. Opossum, enigma of the trees,
upside-down denizen of the night, taunting gravity with...
哈罗,负子鼠先生,树上的谜团上下颠倒的夜之民,正在嘲弄着地心引力。
ROSS: Buddy, my monkey, my monkey.
兄弟,我的猴子呢?
JANITOR: Word on the street - well, when I say street, I mean those little pretend
streets they have here at the zoo.
小道消息…当我说”小道”的时候我指的是园里的仿真小道。
denizen /ˈdɛnɪzən/ 居民 n.
taunt /tɔnt/ 嘲弄 v.
gravity /'ɡrævəti/ 地心引力 n.
pretend /prɪ'tɛnd/ 假装 n.
Word on the street 小道消息,传闻说
A: Why did that restaurant shut down?
那家餐馆为什么会关闭了?
B: The word on the street is that their food made some customers sick.
小道消息说,吃他们家的菜会导致顾客生病。
ROSS: Of course.
当然了。
JANITOR: Your monkey found a new career, in the entertainment field. That's all I
know.
你的猴子有了新职业了……往娱乐界发展去了,我只知道这一些。
ROSS: This is unbelievable.
真是令人难以置信。
JANITOR: So, what is this information worth to you, my friend?
好了,这个消息对你值多少钱啊,朋友?
career /kə'rɪr/ 事业 n,
entertainment /'ɛntɚ'tenmənt/ 款待,娱乐 n.
field /fild/ 领域 n.
unbelievable /ˌʌnbɪ'livəbl/ 不可相信的 adj.
information /'ɪnfɚ'meʃən/ 信息,消息 n.
worth /wɝθ/ 值…的;价值 adj./n.
That’s all I know 这是我所知道的
1. He is not in China. That’s all I know.
他人并不在中国,这是我所知道的。
2. She left home. That’s all I know.
她已离家出走,这是我所知道的。
ROSS: Are you trying to get me to bribe you?
你是暗示我要贿赂你吗?
JANITOR: Maybe.
或许吧。
ROSS: But you already told me everything.
可是你都已经告诉我了。
bribe /braɪb/ 贿赂 v.
be trying to do试图做某事
1. He might be trying to protect her.
他是想保护她。
2. Bob is trying to get a new job.
鲍勃想要找一份新工作。

