第21课:unfinished business 未完成的心愿
选自第2季第11集11:00-12:23
PHOEBE: That's him.
就是他。
CHANDLER: Damn. My mail- order grandfather hasn't come yet.
该死,我邮购的爷爷还没寄来。
MR A: Phoebe?
菲比?
PHOEBE: Yes, hi, Mr. Adelman.
是我,你好,Adelman先生。
MR A: Nice to see you.
很高兴见到你。
PHOEBE: Thanks for meeting me.
谢谢你来见我。
mail /mel/邮政n.
MR A: Oh, that's all right, although you did cut into my very busy day of sitting.
没问题,不过你的确打扰了我忙碌昏坐的一天。
PHOEBE: Um, do you wanna sit?
你要坐下来吗?
MR A: Oh, no, no, no, please, I spent most of mid-morning trying to stand up. Now uh, what can I do for you, my dear?
不…不用了我早上花了好多时间才站起来,我能为你做些什么,亲爱的?
although /ɔl'ðo/ 虽然conj.
spend /spɛnd/ 花费v.
cut into打断
1. You should not cut into their conversation.
你不应该打断他们的谈话。
2. The knife easily cut into the cake.
刀一下子就切进了蛋糕。
PHOEBE: Oh, ok, I don't know how to say this, but I think when your wife's spirit left her body,
it um, kind of stuck around in me.
我不知道该怎么说啦,当你太太的灵魂离开她身体的时候她转入了我的身上。
MR A: You're saying, my wife is in you?
你说我太太在你身上?
PHOEBE: Yeah. Ok, you don't have to believe me, but um, can you think of any unfinished business
she might have had, like any reason she'd be hanging around?
你用不着相信我啦,不过你能想出她或许有什么未完成的心愿吗?有什么原因让她留下来吗?
spirit /'spɪrɪt/ 精神;心灵 n.
unfinished /ʌn'fɪnɪʃt/ 未做完的 adj.
stick around逗留;在附近徘徊或等待
1. I hope you'll stick around till the end of the party.
我希望你能待到派对结束。
2. Why don’t you stick around and watch the baseball game with me?
你为什么不留下来跟我一起看棒球比赛呢?
hang around闲荡;经常和……在一起;浪费时间
1. He got sick of hanging around waiting for me.
他厌倦了浪费时间等我。
2. Sally spent the day just hanging around with her friends.
萨利花了整天跟她的朋友在一起。
MR A: Well, I don't know what to tell you dear. The only thing I can think of is that she always used to say that before she died, she wanted to see everything.
我不知道该说什么,亲爱的,我唯一能够想到的是,以前她常说她死之前她想见识一切。
PHOEBE: Everything?
一切?
MR A: Everything.
一切。
PHOEBE: Whoa, that's a lot of stuff.
那可真是不少。
think of 想起;思考
1. I couldn’t think of her appearance until you showed me the picture.
直到你给我看照片,我才想起来她的长相。
2. We’re thinking of spending our honeymoon in Paris.
我们在考虑去巴黎度蜜月。
used to do 过去常常
1. He used to play chess with his friends at the park.
他过去经常和他的朋友在公园里下象棋。
2. She used to live in London but now she lives in New York.
她过去住在伦敦,但现在住在纽约。
MR A: Oh, wait, I remember, she also said she wanted to sleep with me one last time.
等一等,我想起来了,她还说她想最后再跟我上一次床。
PHOEBE: I'm sorry, there's laughing in my head.
对不起,我脑袋里有笑声。
MR A: Worth a shot, huh?
值得一试嘛?
remember/rɪ'mɛmbɚ/ 记得 v.
shot /ʃɑt/ 开枪;尝试 n.
worth a shot 值得一试
1. Then this is worth a shot, isn't it?
那这就值得一试 不是吗?
2. It seems really challenging, but it is worth taking a shot.
这看起来很有挑战,但是值得一试啊。

